A quick reminder for trademark owners: the new top-level .xxx domains open for public registration on December 6, 2011. We all know the perils of having some unknown person register your trademark or domain only to redirect it to a less-than-flattering site. Recognizing the significant amount of negative publicity and harm that trademark owners and businesses could experience as a result of infringing .xxx TLDs (top-level domains), ICANN has provided a “Sunrise B” period for trademark owners to “register” blocks on their domains prior to making the domains available for general registration (the Sunrise AT and AD periods allow owners of adult-orientated trademarks and domains to pre-register their sites). In other words, if you want to prevent someone from using your trademark in a .xxx domain, you can register under the Sunrise B provision before the public at large can attempt to get a .xxx domain using your registered mark(s). The last day to register under Sunrise B is October 28, 2011.
According to GoDaddy (my registrar of choice–and no, I don’t receive anything from GoDaddy for that recommendation (see how I followed the FTC rules regarding blogger disclosures?)), here is what you need to know about the Sunrise B period:
- Sunrise B registration is NOT a domain registration; it is a block to prevent a third party from registering your trademarked name as a .XXX domain.
- The one-time fee ($199 at GoDaddy and most registrars) blocks your trademarked name for 10 years.
- The one-time fee is non-refundable and cannot be reversed.
- Since this is not a domain registration, you do not need to provide a website or content.
- Reserved names will resolve to a standard information page indicating that the name is reserved.
- Trademarked Name
- Trademark Registration Number: The registration number for your trademark (not your application number).
- Nation Code: The country where your trademark was registered.
- Trademark Registration Date: The date your trademark was registered.
- Trademark Ownership: Your relation to the trademark: Owner or Assignee.